There have been Methodists meeting in Styal since 1790. Robert Hyde Greg, owner of Quarry Bank Mill, converted a grain store into the chapel in the 1830s, after it was discovered that the Methodists were meeting in secret in a cellar!
The congregation was mainly mill workers. Styal is the village where Channel 4 TV series The Mill was filmed and where the stories originate.
Today, unusually, the chapel is rented from the National Trust, with whom the church is working to encourage more visitors to the Mill and village.
Rev Ian Smart is the minister of Styal Methodist Church